What are the things regarding homeowners insurance that you didn’t know?
Home insurance has been the subject of countless articles and studies for many years. However, few people can actually claim that they have no inquires when it comes to the details regarding their homeowners insurance policy.
Which is why reviewing your insurance policy is never a bad idea. You might find out about new ways to save money on your coverage or even improve your current policy with additional benefits.
Homeowners insurance policy tips you should be aware of:
- You have to know exactly what your homeowners insurance policy covers and what it does not. Usually, home insurance covers for damages to your home in case of fire, storms, theft or vandalism but they also have exclusions such as: earthquakes, power failure, war, nuclear hazard, government action, faulty zoning, bad repair and maintenance. You should also know that flooding and water damages are usually only covered in certain conditions.
- Understanding how to lower your rates – did you know that you can substantially lower your home insurance rates by simply having a working smoke detector or a burglar alarm on your property?
- Don’t wait to file a claim – The sooner you report any possible claim the better. The truth is… if you wait too long, you might end up not being eligible for benefits.
- Keep a record of your lost and remaining possessions when going through a loss. Make sure you write down the damages and what you have done to help the mitigation process.
Examples of this kind are represented by: receipts, contracts, documenting phone calls by
writing down the person you spoke to and also the time.
- Understanding how jewelry is covered – Although it is usually covered by the homeowners
insurance policy, jewelry is only covered to a certain amount. The most important thing you
can do is to ask your insurance agent about the limits involved.
Find the perfect home insurance policy in Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay, Sturgeon Bay, Algoma, and Door County WI today!